For many, the most efficient way to learn about photography is through one-on-one or small class sessions with one of our teachers. It’s a great way to get just what you need, at your own pace and on your own schedule.
We’ve prepared amateur photographers for exotic travel, helped with new cameras and photography basics, assisted with personal projects from slide shows to books, and have offered constructive critiques of clients’ work regardless of their level of expertise. The knowledgeable instructors at DCP have consulted, trained and created custom classes and team building sessions for companies and organizations. We also help portrait and commercial studio businesses get off the ground.
To book a tutoring session, consulting or a small class email us through the Contact page to discuss your needs and scheduling.
In Person Tutoring:
- Once a meeting time has been worked out you’ll be referred back to the website to purchase your session and secure your time slot.
- Sessions are available at DCP and some instructors are available to travel to your location. Travel charges may apply depending on your location.
- Personal tutoring rates range from $110 to $125/hour for 1-2 students. This way you can learn with a friend and share the expense.
- Prices for groups of 3 and up vary depending on the number of students. Please contact us for a quote.
- Sessions can be 60, 90 or 120 minute sessions depending on the instructor.
- Sessions expire six months after purchase date.
- Rates and number of participants are the same as In Person tutoring.
- Ideal for friends in separate locations.
- Sessions can be as short as 15 minutes if you have a quick question or if we’re working on some data transfers as part of your Lightroom setup.
- A perfect way to follow up a class or workshop or get help with a project from the convenience of your home or office.
Lightroom Training and Consulting:
- We’ve done hundreds of hours of Lightroom consulting, from just getting set up to advanced file management issues.
- Our clients include casual amateurs who want to have organized access to all their files to a national wedding studio needing help with distributed editing.
- We can help you choose between Lightroom Classic and the newer cloud-based version to find the platform that fits your needs.
Small Group Classes:
- We can craft a custom class for 2-20 people for families and groups of friend from custom photo walks to darkroom workshops.
- Rates are based on a per-case basis according to group size, project complexity, staff requirements and locations.
- We’ve had great success with projects like smartphone photography resulting in a display of printed images.
- Bringing a group to DCP for a darkroom workshop or portrait session where attendees photograph each other provides and fresh and memorable experience.
School and Special Interest Groups:
- From gallery visits to custom darkroom or lighting workshops, bringing young students to DCP enhances their interest in photography.
- We’ve hosted gallery tours for UTD, Collin College, Bishop Dunne.
- We created a half day seminar for B’nai B’rith Youth Organization that included a lecture and creative, hands on activities addressing major facets of photography as a career.
- DCP has provided judges for photo competitions for ISAS, Trinity Park Conservancy, Skills USA and local photo clubs.
Business Tutoring, Consulting and Team Building:
- Our instructors are glad to help you with business consulting which would include lighting setup, business development, professional workflow or any aspect related to a new or established business.
- We’ve worked with companies including Intuit, Capital One, Lincoln Properties, Fujitsu, Dallas Chamber of Commerce, The Marketing Arm and Fiezy Rugs.
- Consulting rates depend on the location, complexity, amount of preparation required and number of people. Please contact us to talk over your consulting needs.
Peter is the Executive Director of Dallas Center for Photography and teaches several of the classes and workshops. In over 30 years of shooting assignments for national magazines and corporate/stock photography he’s learned a few things and likes to pass it on. His favorite student review is “You remember what it’s like to not know”.
Peter has helped his clients with a range of projects including:
- All levels of Adobe Lightroom help including file organization, making books and printing.
- Moving into a new camera or camera system including purchase advice and basic instruction.
- Planning for travel from family vacations to African photo safaris, camera and lens selection, shooting tips and data backup while on the road.
- Preparing for a photo exhibit including selection, editing and presentation.
- Digitizing and archiving slide and B&W negative collections.
- Image review and critique and personal book projects.
Richard’s education is in photography and sculpture and his career has spanned the globe shooting in locations including Tokyo, Hong Kong, Sydney and London. He photographs architectural interiors and exteriors, landscape, food, product and people for international hotel and resort clients. Richard sees photography as both a technical craft and an art form, has taught at the university level and is a lynda.com author.
Richard’s expertise includes:
- Everything Photoshop from the basics to photo realistic compositing, image manipulation and retouching techniques including removing and replacing objects, product enhancement as well as skin and beauty polishing. The goal is to leave no trace of the manipulation involved.
- Planning a digital workflow for high production values, knowing what is needed to be captured on set to successfully complete the image in post.
- Advanced camera technique including view camera movements for perspective and focus control, tilt/shift and specialty lenses.
- Lighting large and small interior and exterior architectural spaces with strobe or continuous fixtures for both day and night.
- Shooting product, food and beverage in the studio or location. Solving difficult lighting setups with a minimum of equipment for hard to shoot objects