DCP Darkroom Rental
To book a rental time slot, go to the “Upcoming Rental Time Slot” tab and choose your desired date.
The DCP darkroom is now open for rentals! After many requests, and now that we’re all getting more comfortable being with other people, we’re making our very wonderful darkroom available for rental. You’ll be able to use DCP’s space, materials, and guidance from our experienced darkroom manager to bring your film and art to life.
Our facility includes a loading room, film processing area, a printing darkroom with 10 enlarger stations up to 4×5, a range of lenses, multi-contrast filters, custom sinks, lightbox, drying racks, ample air conditioning and ventilation systems. . . it’s an awesome space. Original design of the darkroom was strategic, allowing for larger groups that can train and work together without tripping over your fellow photographer.
The rental fee includes use of equipment, accessories, and chemicals. Our experienced darkroom manager will be there for oversight and answering questions. Rentals can be booked in half-day or full-day blocks.
**FIRST TIME RENTERS AT DCP MUST ATTEND A BRIEF ORIENTATION the morning of their rental to go over basic knowledge of darkroom processes and etiquette. If you’ve never worked in a darkroom before, you’ll need to take our Beginner Darkroom Workshop or similar. Please see the important information on the Details tab.
Half-day rental is $75 for a 4-hour time block from either 9:30am-1:30pm or 2pm-6pm. Full-day rental is $100 for an 8 hour-time block from 9:30am-6pm with a 30-minute lunch break. DCP members receive a 50% discount on darkroom rental fees at checkout if you are logged into your account.
- The DCP darkroom is located at 4756 Algiers Street, Dallas 75207. You can park in the parking lot in front of DCP or along the street.
- If you have not already worked in the DCP darkroom, you must register and attend the 30-minute morning orientation on the day of your rental. There are no exceptions. The orientation is no extra cost. Even if you’ve worked in other darkrooms before, we want to make sure everyone is safe, comfortable, and on track for how we run ours.
- Half-day rental is $75 for a 4-hour time block from either 9:30am-1:30pm or 2pm-6pm. Full-day rental is $100 for an 8 hour-time block from 9:30am-6pm with a 30-minute lunch break.
- DCP members receive a 50% discount on darkroom rental fees. You must be logged into your member account before you add the rental time slot to your cart to receive the discount.
- Blocks start and stop on time. Plan to leave at the end of your time block and please time your film and prints to be able to take them with you. We can’t be responsible for any materials left behind.
- You must provide your own paper. We use Ilford chemicals, with Ilfosol-3 for film and Multigrade for paper with Ilford stop and fix. No other chemicals are allowed without prior permission from DCP.
- Everyone who enters the darkroom must sign a liability waiver. There are no exceptions.
- The rental fee covers chemicals to process 10 of rolls of film and 25 prints per half day block. Maximum print size is 11×14. If you plan to process more, please get in touch with us ahead of time and there may be charged an additional materials fee. The rentals are for people doing personal work. Commercial and large print runs are not allowed. If you want to do large runs, contact us for more details.
- We have complimentary water and sodas, but we have no snack machines or food service. There are several places nearby for you to grab lunch.
- Masks are required at all times.
Q: Do I need to attend orientation even if I know how to use darkroom equipment and chemicals or have worked in another darkroom?
A: Yes, you do. Every darkroom has different etiquette, layout, and safety procedures. The only exception is if you have worked in the DCP darkroom before .
Q: Are masks required when I come for darkroom rentals?
A: YES. Even though CDC guidelines have loosened on masking, because you’ll be in an enclosed space with others for an extended time, we require masks at all times that cover your nose and mouth.
Q: How many people can be in the darkroom at one time?
A: Including our manager and/or assistant, the maximum occupancy is 12 people.